View Single Post
      01-14-2014, 04:13 AM   #52
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

My hobby at car shows is to get in cars and look for hard plastic in their interiors just because I hate hard plastics in $30,000-and-above cars. Seriously. Back in Sept 2011 I sat in the new-by-then-F20 1-Series hatch in display at the Munich airport while doing ED. The level of hard plastic was disappointing, to say the least. That is the same interior in this 2-Series.

You can see in the photos in this thread the division between what is covered by soft and hard platic easily -the simulated grain and color of the plastic is different. The most obvious split is in the doors panels, the storage pocket section is hard plastic.

By the way, the Civic, the Accord and worst of all, all Acuras (except the RLX) have more hard plastic in their interior than this 2-Series. The CLA does have quite a number of interior panels in hard plastic, as well.

Just check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
I disagree. Every other manufacturer on the face of the earth is increasing interior quality. BMW is the only one pulling this crap.

An $18k Civic doesn't have as much hard plastic.

I guarantee the Audi S3 will have a vastly superior interior in this price range.

The CLA while not great, also has a better interior.

I could go on and on.

BMW is only cutting about $200/car in manufacturing costs by building these crappy interiors. I would rather they raise the price $200 and give me something nice. The current strategy, however, seems to be to keep the nice interiors at 5 series and above levels. This I don't understand. Why do I have to drive a big car to get a nice interior?
Appreciate 0