View Single Post
      06-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #7
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
So, a used 2020 M240xi coupe magically popped up in my area this week. It's the first M240 coupe that's come available locally in the 2-3 months I have been shopping. What's more, it has all of my required options and is one of my preferred color schemes (Mineral Grey/Coral Red).

The car has roughly 6k miles on it. Digging into the history on CarFax, salesman & I discovered that it had been a repossession...

Anyhow, when I went to test drive it, this error appeared on iDrive (see photo). The salesman said he has seen this before and that it probably occurred during transport (it came from several states away), especially due to the car being AWD... Well if it occurred during transport, presumably that means it occurred because the car was mishandled, maybe when being towed? (Especially since it was repo'd & auctioned?) He said he would have a tech "clear the error," implying that that's all it is and that it isn't a symptom of an actual problem.

Just wondering whether others have experience with this particular error and whether it could in fact be something relatively innocuous... Or if I should run the other way screaming.
Wyldstyle, repos are a bad idea. It isn't hard to imagine one becoming spiteful and abusive toward, let alone keep up with maintaining, a piece of property that is about to be "taken away". Secondly, repo trucks aren't gentle. Thirdly, this car has issues.

I mean, this is a 2020 so you are still paying a pretty penny for it... why compromise to save a few dollars more at such a high price point anyway?

My advice is to avoid this car altogether. You don't know what happened to it in its young life, but it wasn't pretty. Steer clear. Keep your eyes open for something better.

Edit: I am loving all the rational and technical responses in this thread but I wish more people would see how wrong it is to be buying such a low mileage current year car with a repo history, issues, and a deceptive salesperson involved. If he was any bit sincere, he would have shared your concern instead of brushing it off as "oh happened 'cuz of transport, you know, AWD and shit". Come on.

Edit 2: buying pre-owned BMWs from dealer lots is something I just feel uncomfortable with. If I was looking for a pre-owned BMW I'd rather buy it from some old dude, first owner and all that, who knows his cars, than buy it off a dealer's lot. But then again, I hate cars out of warranty!
Appreciate 1