View Single Post
      06-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
Apparently many cars these days will prevent the brakes from working if the accelerator is engaged, and they will also prevent you from shifting to neutral (with an automatic).
This is not true. By design, brakes have capability to hold a car against its capacity to accelerate. If it were not for the damage it could cause, one could try the experiment of simultaneously flooring the accelerator while pressing the brake as far as it will go. The vehicle will not move. I did this demonstration for the press in my earlier career with a car company. For us, transmissions were easily replaced!

I also know of no vehicles which prevent shifting from D to N while under way. I haven't checked the FMVSS requirements on this one, but I believe the capability is a regulatory requirement.

It is true that a particular car or group of cars may have a malfunction, but this is not by design intent, and each situation must be evaluated on the evidence.

Therefore, the best advice is to shift to N and press firmly on the brakes. In the panic of the moment, it is not clear that all drivers in those situations followed that, or were able to follow that process, for example, if a floor mat was blocking the brake pedal.
Appreciate 0