View Single Post
      11-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #1088
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Sure, it's parked for the winter in an indie BMW shop's used-car showroom, heated/dry and will move periodically when other cars need to get in/out. I haven't used tire savers, though I would if it was 100% stationary for the 5 months. I did, however, over-inflate the tires to 50psi. This year I am using a "Noco Genius" smart-charger at low setting, although I didn't use one last year and had no issue because the car was started at least once per month. Main thing is to run the gas tank as low as possible with some fuel stabilizer additive, and give it a good detail. Last year, I had the wheels off, washed the suspension and undercarriage, etc, a bit over the top but looked brand new again when I brought it out in the spring. I didn't have time for all of that this year, but its something I can go do at anytime since it's accessible..

When I pull it out for '18, I'll do the spark plugs, fresh oil change, fill up on 94oct, etc.

To me, it all depends on the condition of the storage facility, if it were in a long term, "lights out" storage environment, I'd probably put it on jack stands and do a full chassis detail, like I did last year. I'd also go nuts on the fabric softener sheets to keep the mice, out. This year will also be cut short in the showroom as they'll be doing all of my chassis bushings and suspension work in their down time, Feb-March ..
Thank you for all of that information. This is my first year storing a car. Mine will be in my garage at home on wheel savers, and I have a CTEK battery tender. The only part of your process which I did not expect was running the fuel tank down. I had read about filling it completely (and with stabilizer onboard) to prevent condensation from forming inside the empty tank. Thoughts? Thanks again.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0