View Single Post
      05-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #179
JRMorgan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFranknFurter View Post
I'm affraid the Corporate Grille or face is here to stay for most if not all manufacturers. It's about branding and up selling people into the next higher model each time they change. The good thing is if you like the look of one you will prob like the look of most if not all that brands models. Of course the opposite can be said. I like the look and especially the interiors on Audi's but they are so similar it's almost imposible to tell them apart when in your rear view mirror!
Seriously can't tell an A6 apart from an A4 most of the time. As for this "upselling" they like to do I will never go for it. I know they always try to put me in a bigger loaner and the service guy even told me they do so to get you to "upgrade". The thing is every family needs a commuter car and nobody will get me to commute in a 3 or a 5. I don't need to drive a boat to work and I don't need the size of my car to make up for the lack of size of parts of my body.

Even with $4/gas they still want to get you buy cars bigger than you need. And to make up for the gas price they went and put a 4 banger in a massively larger 5 series. I get that they had them in the 80s but these cars are a whole size class larger if not more.

When I see a 528i I know someone just got upsold. Culturally people think bigger is better and even $4 gas hasn't changed that. We won't reverse this trend of size creep and cost cutting on the smaller models until that culture changes. BMW may be a german company but the cars are designed more for quantity over quality loving americans.
Appreciate 0