05-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
I'm not a car expert but IMHO I'd go with the M235i. First, I would never ever own a BMW w/o a new car, bumper-to-bumper warranty. If u think the cost of purchasing a BMW is high, wait until u try to repair one off warranty at a dealer. Second, no doubt the 1M has the caché of being a true M car, but performance wise they're about the same, and those god awful rabbit headlights on the 1 series are a deal breaker for me. Third, I'd much rather drive a new over a used car any day with the leatest in design and technology. U can easily get the M2 in a few years when it comes out to replace the M235i.
The 1M is not about Cache, actually the snobs to this day put down the 1M because the M3, M5, etc have bespoke engines, etc. Yes, the headlights are weird but the 235i taillights are awful too.

As far as new technology goes, it brings very little to the table. Digitized sound over real exhaust sound. It still sounds weak.

Electric steering, ok newer technology but it's not as quick as the 1M rack and less feedback.

No more analog temp gauge, OK you can dig around for a tiny digital oil temp display while you stare at an M235i badge. OK, new technology noted.

Now lets look at the 1M. Aluminum subframe, shock housings, aluminum this and that..... some would say that is newer technology than steel housings and suspension bits in the 235i.

Full lock differential..... some might say, newer technology than open diff.

Composite, floating cross drilled disks... again some would say newer tech then solid disks.

369 foot lb overboost function.... a first in M cars and as far as I know not part of 235i.

So I guess the original poster needs to weigh whether he want's fluffy technology or functional "core" technology. He also needs to consider whether he is buying if for his personal thrill or his friends' comfort.

As far as friends go, I can tell you with certainty that my friends enjoyed going our for ride in the 1M a lot and never, ever complained about it being stiff or loud. They had big grins on.

Luckily, he can't go wrong with either, they both have their plusses and minuses, it's just a matter of what makes one happy, but he can always get a 235i or M2 down the road. 1Ms are being modified, wrecked, tracked and he might miss an opportunity to get one of the coolest BMWs in many years. It would be especially sad in the OP's case because he is a perfect case for the 1M where he mostly drives it for pleasure on weekends.

Last edited by nachob; 05-23-2014 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0