View Single Post
      11-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #95
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Pete, are you seriously suggesting that if the M2 is offered in both a MT and a DCT then it wont fit anyone perfectly, that's laughable. A gearbox does not define a car, but if it did, I would say that if you want a performance car such as the M2, then in fact the DCT is the only gearbox option to have, all measurable benchmarks will be markedly superior with the DCT.

I have or have access to several vehicles, some with DSG and some with MT. I prefer the MT for recreational vehicles such as my pickup for hauling my MX bikes, but if its focused driving then nothing comes close to a DSG.

For some reason, folks that say they want a MT think it makes them special, when all it makes them is old fashioned and unable to change with the times. Yes, engines used to be naturally aspirated once and we all thought that was sweet, till we realised that by throwing a turbo or two on made it so much better, and we got used to the idea.

You raise some good points, and I may not have quoted the correct figures for the US with regard to take up of DCT / DSG as compared to Europe and other parts of the world, but I'm confident that it is still higher than take up of MT by a significant margin. Manual Transmissions may still be popular, but they are declining in sales and will eventually go the way of the dinosaur.

Also, if you have a 1M I salute you on owning what is considered to be a brilliant piece of motoring, however I don't accept your argument regarding the comparison of the gearboxes. The 1M was sold in such limited numbers that they were all going to sell regardless of the MT being the only option. But the M2 will be a full volume vehicle and BMW know better than to alienate the majority of the people who would consider purchasing one. After all, they are in the business of selling cars and making profits.

What would I buy if the M2 is MT only, most likely it will be the RS3 or possibly the CLA / A 45 Black.
Read his post again. He's not saying that the transmission is what makes the car at all. He's saying in general (ride, handling, stiffness...), cars that are NOT for everyone is what ends up being special in the end... think GT3s, 1Ms, Black Series, Lotus...

Saying that MT drivers can't get with the times, is as stupid as saying DCT/AT drivers are a bunch of posers. The street goes both ways. And your example of turbo vs NA is also flawed. Some people will prefer NA over turbos, and vice versas.

I've tried to like DCT's, but they just are not for me. They are so amazing on the track, but guess what, my car probably spends 2 days out of the 365 at the track. And on mountain runs (which I do far more of, I'm close to the Blue Ridge Highway), I prefer MT because I'm out there having fun. Doesn't mean I look down on DCT drivers though.

This is so stupid regardless. 5 pages of banter over an article which is all fluff anyway.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0