View Single Post
      03-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #39
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post
I did hours of researching before deciding on the Hakka R2's.

Take a quick search on kijiji or craigslist for 'bmw nokian' and you'll see the combo is quite popular which was reassuring as well.

Reviews are the highest I've seen among any winter tire and I really don't think you will lose out on much especially if you slightly overinflate them which I like to do (especially since the colder weather decreases the psi as well).

I'm most likely putting my R2's on next weekend so I'll update afterwards.

Hey Control One,

I just got Nokian Hakkapeliitas on my 335i XDrive, and am curious if you felt them as I did. So Sottozeroe Serie II were great for Ontario and medium form Northern Quebec dry -20 -40C. They did not like dry ice (40 kph max). Handling was superb, one of my best 0-60, 4.3s, was on the Serie II. Add a bit of slush, wet, -15 to 5 C and they are superb. Wear quickly, but very sporty.

Hakkas? Incredible longitudinal traction, very stable, they are glued at -40 -20 etc. Superb be it noisy if suddennly braking. But OMG laterally, they felt understeering lots, which was just lateral instability due to softer sidewall than PSS or P Zero or Serie II. Must be careful taking certain curbs, and almost considered returning them. My initial pressure was 34F 36R 18C. Their symmetric thread also wants to go straight.

During this particular long journey, at -8C stopped and checked pressure with a digital gauge. Found out that they dropped to 32F 33R after 400 kms. I upped it to 34F 36R at -10, and they have been better. Not near Sottozero II, but more stable turning. Rate it Medium for lateral stability.

Might go 35F 38R.

Did you have the same impressions? Linear traction, deceleration, but soft turning?
Appreciate 0