09-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #37
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
They should just build better and more innovative cars. Lately they turboed all M cars which is a cheap way to keep up in the HP war. Model after model their cars look the same - hard to tell the difference between old and new, I.e. 7er, 3er new 5er. Most of their tech is what others already have. They basically copy others. No wonder they need Hollywood's help.

Look at what Americans are starting to do. Inexpensive but sporty and powerful cars. The engine in the Shelby 350 is a work of art. Whereas BMW m got a moded 3 liter i6 from the 3er. M's used to get their own engines but not anymore.... I m still a BMW fan but man the completion shows them how to get things done or else they will loose and the movie won't help. Just saying.
Producing one of these films is a veritable drop in the bucket compared to R&D ... and the marketing value is priceless because of two things:

1). Pedigree. As noted by other posts, BMW originated the viral car video as a digital marketing tool. Resurrecting it with new blood both in front of and behind the camera (sorry: Guy Ritchie isn't what he once was) is a great decision because ...
2). Momentum. The last one of these wasn't that long ago. Though the idea is not innovative anymore, the effectiveness isn't diminished much because of familiarity, respect, and quality. It's like the Rolling Stones releasing another album: everyone pays attention even though the band's been doing it for more than 50 years.

Sorry, but the post above is full of ignorance. One example: Guy Ritchie isn't Hollywood. He never has been. His base is Paris and London, and the vast majority of his films are European productions. Another: I don't think CFRP is tech someone already has ... just sayin'.
Appreciate 1