03-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #109
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
Scott, I hear you but all the innovations you talk about are either costly upgrades (i.e. LED) or non-existing in the current models (CFRP, well except for I-brand). Anyhow, regular people don't buy cars for presence of LED or some other high tech alone. A car is a package. Does it make sense for me to spend 50K for car I barely like visually (i.e. design). Do I want to buy a new model car with last models engine (i.e. 335/435)? They talked about weight reduction, CFRP, etc. Where is that in F3x cars?
So maybe it is the most innovative in Germany, but that innovation exist in their labs and not in the cars you can buy today. About Rolls-Royce Phantom, I am not sure how this example is relevant on here - perhaps Ferrari/Aston Martin forum will be interested.
Anyway, I am skipping F-generation for reason that whatever has been released is not for me. Like I said, if I need a car soon, I'll spend 50K on Macan and be excited; otherwise, I'll wait for the next generation of BMW cars which according to you, Scott, will have the superior tech package. So we'll see.
I doubt BMW is under the impression any of us owe them our business, and if a Macan ticks more boxes for you, and the price of ticking those boxes isn't an issue for you, then of course you will go down that route - just make sure you're not cutting off your nose to spite your face... many of the criticisms levelled against BMW these days can be aimed at the other Germans too.

I went for a wonder around one of my bigger local Dealers today, actually the closest BMW i-Agent... I was checking out the i3 ... and it was my first opportunity to see some of the new models up close and personal, as well as being in the context of other models in the range, and I have to say I was impressed. Come the summer I hope to be deciding on a new car, and the two lead candidates are an i3 REx and (more likely) a 320dGT - I've had all sorts of BMW's over the years, and I'm still amazed (even when sitting in the cabin of the i3) that there is still an unmistakable 'BMW feel' to them, and I doubt the 2-er AT will be any different.

... each to their own though, I can respect your wants and needs as much as my own.

(I was really impressed with the i3 by the way)
Appreciate 0