11-24-2017, 09:14 AM   #30
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattds View Post
well continue on my way to work of course...at the speed limit

I sort of think the 0-60 time is one of the few performance measures you can mostly exploit legally.
Couldn't agree more. While track and "twistie's" seem to be the measure of performance for some, the majority of owners only judge their car's performance when they step on the accelerator.

Certainly there are other choices that can do it for less $. However, if one wants to own a smaller BMW that looks rather un-assuming in traffic but can deliver great performance, why not?

FWIW, BMW advertises the M2 w/ a 0-60 time @ 4.0. Yet, in comparisons between the M240i (advertised @ 4.4 0-60) and the M2 (guys playing with rolling races) the two cars are actually pretty close in straight line acceleration. I would think that adding a decent tune to the car (M240i) would put it securely @ 4 sec -0-60 or maybe one tick below on a good day.

Many concede that a tuned M240i will beat the stock M2 in a straight line race. Not taking anything away from the M2. Add a tune to it and it will likely beat the M240i and do markedly better on the track too.

So to answer your question, yes, it is more than feasible to get a 3.9 0-60 result from a few bolt on additions to the M240i (and in all probability the M235i too)
Appreciate 0