05-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobryson View Post
Hi all-

I own a '14 M235i AT with only 21k miles. Sunday night it threw a CEL with no apparent symptoms, and yesterday my local dealer told me it needed a new Engine Control Module. Luckily it still has another month of warranty (and since this is emissions-related it'd be covered up to 8yr/80k miles).

This car has already had the entire power steering rack replaced and some suspension parts, and now another fairly significant failure...it has me worried. I know it's a fairly high-performance car, and that maintenance over will be more expensive than average, but this seems like an awful lot in only 21k miles. I'm starting to wonder if this dealer isn't doing their due diligence in diagnosing what might be smaller problems, and instead just expensing major repairs to BMW while it is still under warranty...am I crazy?

Also, if this thing is going to rack up significant repair bills in the next couple of years, should I go ahead and unload it soon? I love the car, but this is a little frustrating.
It's not a high performance car and it shouldn't be like that. I wouldn't consider all of that maintenance, they are failures. If it were me, I'd be shopping around...

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0