03-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #103
sgmpw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
I don't believe the Electro-mechanical limited slip differential is the M Performance Limited Slip Differential for the M235i for the following three reasons:

First line of evidence, Google "BMW electro mechanical LSD" and you'll find references by BMW that use this terminology to describe their standard open differential that use the brakes for the LS function.

Second line of evidence, the document you link to (Reference PQ05105060) was released on 01-05-16. The port install M Performance Limited Slip Differential option was discontinued at midnight on Sunday 2-28-2016. Yes, I was up at midnight on a Sunday playing with the "Build Your Own" function when to my surprise it disappeared after reloading the web page at 12:30.

Third line of evidence, when I ordered my car on Monday 2-29-2016 the SA was unable to enter the order code for the port install M Performance Limited Slip Differential. After checking with the dealership's manager and the dealership manager talking to the regional manager; the word was the Port Install M Performance Limited Slip Differential Option was discontinued. And, that the M Performance Limited Slip Differential is now only offered as a dealer installed option.

And my fourth line of evidence, (yes I know I said only three) but... my brand new M Performance Limited Slip Differential arrived Wednesday and is sitting on my workbench in the garage, waiting for the arrival of the car next month. There is nary an "electro" connection on the thing.
uh....that's pretty compelling evidence
I kind of thought it was too good to be true. I'm on the list to order an M240i but told my contact this would be a key question I need answered. Seems I already have it. Thx. Sigh.
Appreciate 0