Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
I don't believe the Electro-mechanical limited slip differential is the M Performance Limited Slip Differential for the M235i for the following three reasons:

First line of evidence, Google "BMW electro mechanical LSD" and you'll find references by BMW that use this terminology to describe their standard open differential that use the brakes for the LS function.

Second line of evidence, the document you link to (Reference PQ05105060) was released on 01-05-16. The port install M Performance Limited Slip Differential option was discontinued at midnight on Sunday 2-28-2016. Yes, I was up at midnight on a Sunday playing with the "Build Your Own" function when to my surprise it disappeared after reloading the web page at 12:30.

Third line of evidence, when I ordered my car on Monday 2-29-2016 the SA was unable to enter the order code for the port install M Performance Limited Slip Differential. After checking with the dealership's manager and the dealership manager talking to the regional manager; the word was the Port Install M Performance Limited Slip Differential Option was discontinued. And, that the M Performance Limited Slip Differential is now only offered as a dealer installed option.

And my fourth line of evidence, (yes I know I said only three) but... my brand new M Performance Limited Slip Differential arrived Wednesday and is sitting on my workbench in the garage, waiting for the arrival of the car next month. There is nary an "electro" connection on the thing.
This is accurate. When I ordered my car in the summer of 2014, I did a ton of research on whether the car actually had a real, mechanical LSD or not. I found out that it has brake actuated, electronic limited slip functionality.

I ended up getting a custom rear end (different ratios, LS functionality) built, and when it was put in, there was no electronic hookup for the differential -- it is a purely mechanical unit, unlike the M2/3/4/5, etc, which have a LSD that is controlled by, among other things, the ECU.