United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Hope they can improve the following:
  1. The steering feel further
  2. Improve the sound that the car makes that does not go sort of flat after a certain point but rather more intense with each rising rpm a la S65 more than S55.
  3. The rev nature needs to be more faster like S65 than S55.
  4. Add CF in hood, fenders, roof, and trunk to drop weight lower,
  5. Have proper brakes, and tires as wide as possible that they can stuff in rear to give more pronounced aggressive stance.
  6. Improved gas mileage would also be a plus.
  7. Bring back functional hood scoops a la E92 M3. To get extra cooling for hot turbo motor.
  8. Keep price affordable.
Is that all?

I actually quite like your wish list, but in my experience... Fast, Nimble, Cheap. Pick two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
My guess is that the engine will be an N55-block but with two turbos, exactly like the Alpina did with its new B3. There is no way to control lag in an M-worthy manner with only one turbo at the 350+hp power level (would need quite large turbo).

The S55 engine block is too tuneable (closed deck) and would put M3/4 sales in jeopardy.

Also I think that the weight savings will be substantial (BMW can produce carbon fiber cheap with its new CFRP factories) but the power not much higher than the 1M (max. 340-350hp).
Good point on the turbo, but hard to imagine that they'll transform the N55 into a twin-turbo, put it in an M car, and still call it an N55.

I also agree on the use of CFRP, vis-a-vis their ramp-up of new production facilities. If they're going to keep the engine/power relatively modest over the M Performance series-based cars, then they should be planning on going big on weight reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
I don't believe BMW will install N55. This is rather a marketing trick to keep competition at bay. There is no way N55 will be in M2 in 2016 when new B series engines are coming out.
I have had the same thought... Whatever power plant they put in this thing, I'm sure it will have ample power - but I'd really like to see it be responsive and willing to rev.