View Single Post
      01-09-2015, 08:19 AM   #28
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Lucky you the previous owner upgraded it to the ZHP rack. On the e36 M3, steering rack upgrades to the e46ZHP or Z3 are very popular to get the quicker steering and slight on-center play fix. Another popular ZHP item retrofitted to e36M3s are their shift knobs.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-buy-a-Z3-rack
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...rack-installed

BTW, did your car come with the 5th gear detent fixed, or does it still have it? In any case, it seems like you got a well-maintained e36M3 in a great color combo too. She's a keeper!
Thanks! The previous owner did a ton of work, such as replacing every single bushing and upgrading to poly if possible, the steering rack, PSS9 coilovers ect ect... it was his part time track car.

When I got the car, he said part of the cooling system was done, but the expansion tank looked old to me. Knowing it's the E36's weak point, I went ahead and redid everything, including Stewart water pump and Z3M S54 radiator. Doing the ZHP knob is a standard mod for all my BMW's I've ever had. It's such a nice upgrade for not much money!

Unfortunately, 3 weeks after that, I was pulling out of work and the clutch pedal went to the floor. Had the car towed to my place thinking it was just a slave cylinder. Long story short, it was a bent clutch fork and I ended up replacing every thing (bushings, flywheel, clutch, master, slave ect....). The car did originally have the 5th gear lean, so while the transmission is out, I got that fixed too. So much nicer now.

Needless to say, the E36 is mechanically superb now, although it did cost me a bit. The car was very well maintained, but now it should be bulletproof. I just need to fix a few small aesthetics things, as well as all the insane rattles in the interior
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0