View Single Post
      05-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #196
Jeff_2015_228i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228i Xdrive; 528i Xdrive

I am days away from my '15 228i xdrive vert's 2 year anniversary. Currently at 30,000 miles. The car has been absolutely flawless. My only issue is wanting to drive it all the time.

Also have a CPO '12 528i xdrive. It has also been flawless. Over 50,000 miles. But, after reading the N20 timing chain/oil pump failure/engine blow thread on the other forum the other day has me concerned as it has the old plastic guide design etc. that are likely the cause. Confirmed with service dept that it wasn't "upgraded" with the new part prior to our purchase. Dealership will be checking that condition on my next visit. I will say the older 528 engine is loader than my 228.

Forums can make one very paranoid though. I read many car forums (Dodge, VW, Ford, Chevy) and 99% of the time people post because they had an issue, need help, or frankly did stupid crap that caused their own problems.

Just as others have stated, not exactly a scientific sampling methodology... but I am still going to "encourage" my dealership to replace the timing related parts to the new version since this was a gen1 era N20.
Appreciate 0