View Single Post
      10-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #50
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy
The M235i is the first M Performance line vehicle introduced to North America. I think it's unlikely that BMW will abandon the line, and so I think it is unlikely that the M235i will be dropped. This is especially true, as Scott26 says, in jurisdictions with high taxes on "performance cars" with lower fuel economy/higher emissions. The M2 can be sufficiently differentiated from the M235i by options, performance and price, so that there is no need to drop the model.

Despite all that, I would love to be wrong and the M235i to be discontinued. I then own a limited edition!
IMHO it would be daft to drop the M235i.

I don't care about the debates of whether or M badge is being abused (M sport badging all over since the E36) but Audi, VW, Seat, Mercedes all have a sub top of the range differentiating moniker.

Audi S and RS
VW GTi and R
Seat FR, Cupra, Cupra R
Mercedes AMG Sport, AMG

To make a model more plain named in the face of such competition would be a backward step in terms of visibility. I know it's just an M badge but it separates the rest of the model line with the top of the standard range model. Immediately it looks a bit more special.
Appreciate 0