RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Well... it depends...

Sport can be configured to:

Drivetrain only ( shifts at higher rpm & more responsive throttle mapping)
Chassis only (Stiffer suspension)
Both ( both of the above combined)

Lever to the left just does (shifts at higher rpm) DS if you hit the paddle then goes to M where you have to shift yourself

So if you are in Sport and hit the lever to the left i will have no effect but to initially downshift 1 gear

Sport+ = Sport & DTC off
This is all true, and that's how it works in my 335i Msport with the adaptive dampers and variable ratio steering.
Drive train only puts the AT in a sport mode even if left in it's standard position, and it increases/faster throttle response.
Chassis only puts the suspension in sport mode, and firmer steering effort.
Both is all of the above in my 335i.

I believe the M235i also has variable ratio steering.
Does sport mode increase steering effort in the 2? It should.

If you have "sport" configured to "both", then the trans will be in sport mode even if the lever is not moved to the left.
If you then move the lever to the left it will activate DS mode, which is pretty much the same shift program, it holds gear for higher rpm, and won't engage 7th gear until around 60-70mph. 8th gear doesn't even get selected, it's locked out.

If you have "sport" configured for chassis only, then the trans will operate in normal shift mode. If you want a more aggressive shift program while in chassis only, then move the lever to the left and you'll get it.

With all these damp button pushes and "programs" it makes things too overly done.
My biggest complaint about BMW's system is that we can't individually select these items and then store them as "preferred" setting and have it be the default every time we start our cars.
That's a HUGE oversight on BMW's part.
I chose an Msport, which means I want the sportiest version and I want it in the sportiest settings. If I want some darn "comfort" mode, then I can select that, instead it's the other way around.

I think the reason for why BMW did it this way is because of EPA mileage testing. If the sportiest settings were default, then the cars won't get the MPG ratings they do, because shifts points would be at higher rpm, 7th-1st overdrive won't engage until around 60mph, and 8th-2nd overdrive won't engage at all, and will lower MPG.
Then BMW would have to list separate MPG ratings for different default settings.

And now almost every manufacturer is doing some form of
"driver selectable drive modes". It's a freakin gimmick.
You want better MPG, learn to use the throttle pedal more effectively.
Appreciate 0