08-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
I don't know the numbers, but I believe moving the shifter to the left in auto mode changes the gear ratios no matter what mode you're in, so even in sport mode, shifting to the left will change the gear ratios even further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes136 View Post
Got it. So put it in sport+ and slide the lever to the left for the most aggressive performance. Thank you.
As a heads up, it's physically impossible for the transmission to change its gear ratios on the fly. The only differences that could occur would be the shift mapping and throttle response. The shift points and conditions for it to shift up and down might be slightly different - traditionally, more aggressive shift patterns equate to more eagerness to downshift and a hesitancy to upshift in order to keep RPMs high. In cars with torque curves like the 228i and 235i, that's not really necessary considering that they shine in the midrange of the RPM band.

Bottom line: you won't notice much of a difference if there even is one. Throttle response might be different between the two modes. If moving the shifter to the left only affects its shift behavior and not the throttle mapping, you might get a higher percentage of throttle with less pedal travel in "sport mode" by comparison. That doesn't necessarily mean it provides superior performance either.
Appreciate 0