View Single Post
      03-26-2014, 06:46 PM   #139
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Frankly, the original cost of *anything* from 2008 is not pertinent…inflation or otherwise.
It's market baby…supply and demand. If Subaru gets a nicer, more civilized approach on their WRX and removes that piano bench from the trunk, they could upend this entire segment with a much lower price.

Just read an article (Car and Driver?) that said the "base" price of the m4 was going to be about $65k. Doing a little deductive reasoning here….

It seems to me that BMW likes to stagger the tiers/prices of their cars such that if you fully load a model, it rises over the base cost of the next higher model. (see 328 vs 335). Try this out on the their website and see. This is intended to get folks to notice how close they are to a slightly superior car and just bite the bullet, and move up a notch.

I think M cars are put (intentionally) a bit further out of reach from their non-M brethren (Fully twisted 335i is around $61k, base m4 is supposed to start around $65k).

It also seems to me that if you max out the options on many models, it can add about 20-30% to the base cost.
Example: M235i base: $43.1k, Loaded: $53.5, (~20%). Base vs. loaded 335i is about 30%.

That said, in order for an M2 to be slightly over the max of an M235i (cuz it's an M) and yet still have plenty of option room before it kisses against the base of an M3/4, I would guess that it will start with a base near $55k and option up over $65k.

Any takers?
Appreciate 0