View Single Post
      06-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Facelifts or LCi s commence when the car approaches mid life - the 1er despite new competitors and despite individual opinions from "enthusiasts" the car is still a strong seller, thanks to its uniqueness in that segment to offer RWD and for a lot of 1er customers that is preferred.

There has never been a BMW that has been hurriedly facelifted because of individual opinion. For many that state the E65 was quickly facelifted only has to investigate that's its facelift occurred in 2005 at its mid-life.
The 1er will be facelifted in 2014. Its mid life before changeover to new UKL matrix in 2017.
I think there are many people who have problem with the front end. The car of course drives great and as you say being the only RWD in its segment is on a different level compared to the A-Class and the A3. And of course it will sell well because it is really a great car.

However, its front end is ugly as hell and I believe this sentiment echoes the majority of BMW "enthusiasts", owners or not. I don't expect our opinion to significantly affect the board when a specific model is due for a facelift, however what exactly is this car on the pics? Is it an older M135 set of pics during development stages or is it really an LCI testing vehicle?

Having said that, I understand the need to differentiate between the 1-Series and the 2-Series but some strong 2-Series cues at the front end would do wonders for the appeal of the current model. The 2017 FWD is a different story though, I feel most people will opt for a 2-Series once the 1-Series becomes FWD.
Appreciate 0