United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Disappointing to hear that the GT4 has understeer that is tough to dial out and isn't really a momentum car (to differentiate vs the point and shoot 911 GT3), though seems like the GT4s are faster in turns than in straights, but again I haven't driven one and I'm assuming equivalent skill level in the GT4 drivers. I'm seriously considering it as a 2nd car and really like the honest feedback on this post and the cars seem awesome, but Porsche seems to reserve most aggressive and best feeling steering for 911 GT3, which I have driven on the track and seems pretty much perfect IMO, which is not something I expected with the rear engine heavy layout. Not so much interested in rough equivalency/couple seconds faster than an M3 (TC Kline's M3 just with coilovers, pads and tires is doing 1:40 at Laguna Seca), but really want to make a leap to the next level car experience wise in both speed and dynamic feel.

Also driving without an MDM type mode gives me significant pause, just don't think its worth it for non-competitive motorsports, but that's a whole other rabbit hole.
Oh I wasn't trying to say my M3 was capable of only 1:40's. I'm sure with a proper driver my M3 would have ran 1:37-1:38's easily. I'm a pretty consistent driver (my laps are almost always within a half a second of each other unless I hit traffic or intentionally try to do something really different) so comparing my M3 time to my GT4 time seemed like a relevant data point. Bottom line is the GT4 is far more capable on track compared to the E9x M3. But I'm sure that's not a surprise.

I've driven the 991 GT3 at Thunderhill and it's honestly too fast for the average driver (I consider myself an average driver). If you need the nannies on a car to drive on track, then the car is too much for your skill level. That's how I see it. The GT4 is on a totally different level than the E9x M3 in terms of driving dynamics. It's far more capable on track. When people are still concerned with straight line acceleration, I usually assume they aren't using their cars anywhere near their full potential in the corners in the first place. Driver mod is always the best answer. But if you are just looking for cheap thrills on the track, then yes, more HP is the answer.

Most people who have owned the 991 GT3 and GT4 say the steering feedback on the GT4 is far better. Not sure which generation GT3 you drove. The older ones are definitely more raw and visceral to drive. I still consider selling my GT4 and moving to a 996 GT3 at times. I'm 90% sure I'll have a lot more fun driving a rear engine car on track.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0