08-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #27
JasW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Agreed, I bought a Scosche USBC242M 12Wx2 charger and it's amazing, so at this point the only time I ever connect my phone is when I want higher quality audio than Bluetooth streaming offers, but that's only on the very rare longer road trip. I've thought about the flash drive option, but playlists don't work as well (or at all?), it's one more thing to remember to update when you add new music to your library on your PC, and of course you can't pull from Pandora that way.
Playlists can be tricky on a flash drive, but once you know what's going on, it's easy. Basically, the car memorizes the directories of flash drives, but can only keep four such drives in memory at a time. You have to have four USB sticks (any size) with one song on them. Plug them in one at a time, wait for the car to recognize the one song, then do the same with the other three. Once that's done, you can plug in the actual (much larger sized) USB you want, and it will replace one of the four simple USBs in memory. It may take a couple of drives for everything on the larger USB to be recognized. Playlists take the longest -- and you can't have a playlist with more than 1500-2000 songs (exact amount unknown). Once it's recognized, you're set. Album art, playlists, and as many 256kbps, 320kbps or whatever kbps mp3 files you can fit on a 128GB stick. If you do add new music, you'll generally have to go through the 4 USB stick routine again, but it's worth it. There is currently no better or more convenient way to have music in your car. Not streaming, not hooking up your phone.

I haven't explained it as well as I could, but a guy in the F10 forum on another site wrote up a guide (applies to all Combox BMWS, not just F10s) which is quite thorough. I've attached it here.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F10 usb playback.pdf (297.5 KB, 2899 views)
Appreciate 1