View Single Post
      04-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
I can tell you in my case I prefer different settings in different situations. For example, If I jump in my car after a volleyball match and I'm hot and sweaty, even on a cool evening I'm likely turning down the temp controls to the lower 60's and keep the A/C button on as I need the dehumidification to keep the windows clear. After leaving the office on a cold winter evening, by the time I reach my car I'm chilled to the bone and might want max heat all the way home (in addition to the heated seat), and I'll turn off the A/C button so that the compressor does not needlessly run and waste fuel...I fully expect someone is going to reply that no longer saves fuel in modern cars :-)
Interesting....I guess we have variations on how we get comfortable. I know that whatever is going on outside, if it's 70 in the car, I'm happy, so I always let the car get me there, from Summer to Winter. My wife thought if she turned the temperature up higher, it would somehow get to the desired (lower) temp sooner....set to 85 to get to 70 faster than just leaving it at 70! LOL! I finally was able to explain thermostats to her a few years back and she believed me.

I don't know about fuel consumption vs. compressor with/without open windows, etc. But, I do know over at MB, there were lots of folks with complaints about moldy odors coming out of their HVAC. To a person, they were all folks who manually controlled their automated system. An MB Tech eventually signed on the forum and explained that the automated system includes a drying cycle, and manual usage defeats that, allowing bacteria to grow and requiring a duct cleansing procedure to get rid of the odor. That alone made the AUTO setting desirable. Not sure if BMW works the same way or not.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0