12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #78
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by barische View Post
My APR tuned GTI - Turbo, intercooled puts out about 300ft/lb, 250 hp at crank. Plenty of power, no turbo lag due to small k03 turbo. Car weighs about 3100# which is pretty heavy but that thing moves.. Just to show that i4 turbo m2 can be very possible.
So your GTI has a 2.0 liter turbo with a tune and makes 406.7 nm (300 lb.ft) tq crank. This is near to 400 nm and 280 ps of the Astra OPC from factory as I stated in my quoted post which is a production car record as of now. And it is not really near to the hp and especially tq level that N54 provides in 1M, even before any tune. My car (when completely stock) dynoed 342.9 lb.ft at the wheel (and 294.2 whp) and on a very low reading Mustang dyno and this is in full conformity with other stock 1Ms, nothing abnormal. My above post was just trying to point out that a four cylinder turbo will not "yet" surpass a six cylinder twin turbo which has 50 % more displacement, at least not in the coming few years, later is another story of course.

However, I am also trying to express my expectation that maybe it just doesn't need to do that and try to match all that tq and even hp, if you keep the weight low enough which will have additional benefits too. I would be as happy if not happier if my car had "just" 300 hp and 400 nm instead of 360 hp and 560 nm that it has now, but only if it would weigh 1300 kg instead of 1500 kg (base 1M before options weigh 1495 kg. or 1570 kg in Euro norm with driver and gas).
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0