View Single Post
      03-13-2018, 08:47 PM   #1296
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Limited Slip Installed

I had the M Performance limited slip differential installed today. Local CCA had a 20% off deal going for parts and labor, so I jumped on it.
Name:  limited slip.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  139.7 KB

The effect right now is so subtle I'm not sure I'm imagining it or not, but it does seem to push out of tight corners a bit better. Only 15 miles on it, so treating it carefully for the first few hundred. (Hard not to push it a little bit though. ) Been doing some circles and figure 8's to break it in. Really quiet at the moment. At full lock I can hear some light grinding, but it might just be tire scrub.

I'm a bit disappointed that it looks exactly like the stock diff. No way to tell externally that it is the LSD. It should have some kind of obvious tag or engraving to make it stand out. Or maybe a nice finned heat-sink cover. If it wasn't so shiny, and I didn't have the old one and the box it came in, I'd almost wonder if it was the LSD.

Not sure what I'll do with the original diff. Suppose I'll keep it as a spare, just in case, or maybe to swap back. It is surprising just how heavy it is. Box says 35.5Kg net (78.2 lbs). And it feels even heavier. It's larger than it looks under the car also. A very heavy chunk of metal.
Appreciate 0