bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
Bradley, exhaust is not based on whether it is a 4, or 6 cylindar, but on the volume size (displacement) of the engine.

Granted, most understand when u mean 6cyl u mean bigger engine, but a bigger engine doesn't always mean a better one. uno? ... a 4-pot with exoctic turbo setup, high compression, fuel effecient and built for clubsporting..?

Coincidentally, those who track/sport/race... will tell you, that a balanced car, is the better car. MoAr isn't always better, so injecting a car with tons of hp means very little, if you cant use it/lay it down.

The M235i vs M2 will come down to it's drivertrain & focus.

My hope for the M2 is an overpowered small displacement inline 6... ..., or an over-the-top, 4 potter w/M sauce slathered all over @ 350ft-lbs of torque.
You can't be serious. Exhaust note is absolutely about more than displacement. Number of cylinders and firing order affect the tone and timber of an exhaust note in a big way. Don't believe me? Why does a V6 sound so different than an inline 6? Why does a 2.5L I4 sound so different from a 2.5L I6? Why does a 2.5L I5 sound different from an I4 or I6 of the same displacement? Why does a V8 sound different from anything else? Why does a flat-plane V8 sound different than a cross-plane V8?

The answer to all of those questions comes down to number of cylinders and firing order. It is impossible to make an I4 sound like an I6, regardless of displacement and exhaust system. I've never cared for the sound of an I4, regardless of tune. I can appreciate and respect an I4 that is well tuned, and there are plenty of great examples that deserve the praise they get, but I don't want to own one.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0