United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2 LCI  [10.00]
OMG, really....

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxlos View Post
You guys are starting to make me regret ordering a 6MT! I drove the AT and found it to be pretty awesome.

6MT is still cool....right.....guys...?
Without a doubt 6-Speed manual transmission is cool, especially in a new 2-Series but the other side of the same coin reveals that the 8-Speed automatic is undoubtedly just as fun!

I truly don't understand the "big deal" or all the controversy

I'm a major fan of 6-Speed manual transmission cars. I've owned many cars in my lifetime. 95% of the cars I've owned were manual transmission. When I owned my Nissan Z's and my C6 Corvette I met many owners of the same type of car with the only difference being is that there's were automatic transmission. Did it make their cars less of a car because they chose automtatic? I think not. I apprecitated and repspect their decision. Never once did it ever occur to me to demean their decision to purchase an automatic simply because it was different than my decision to purchase manual shift. An automatic 2-Series is less fun as a manual shift 2-Series! Says who? That philosophy is just as absurd as a BMW without the lighting package with halos is less of a car, again absurd.

Let me make one thing clear! I FOR ONE LOVE MANUAL TRANSMISSION CARS, period! The 8-Speed A-U-T-O-M-A-T-I-C transmission in the M235i blew my mind. Like many others I wasn't expecting it to, but it did. It totally surpasses all my expectations. What the hell is wrong with that. The controversy and the comments "6-Speed manual the ONLY way to go", what gives? Countless owners who own the 8-Speed automatic have owned and driven manual transmission cars yet they all say over and over time and time again how freakin impressed they are with the automatic transmission. It gets slightly better gas mileage, it's slighly quicker from 0-60. In most other situations the aforementioned better gas mileage and being a little quicker would normally be considered a good thing and not "the nerve of you to buy an automatic" basically we just wasted $50K.

To everyone who personally decided to purchase their 2-Series with manual transmissions, I as 8-Speed automatic owner fully support your decision. Know that I'm happy if your happy. It does not bother me that you chose manual and YES I know that your car is no less fun as mine simply because we have differ transmissions. Both transmissons are equally as fun. I don't get what about that fact is so controversial aside from the fact that automatic transmissions don't generally get so much praise for being so much fun. I understand that some may find it difficult to understand why we chose the automatic. Trust me, we have our reasons, reason being is because its so day-um fun!

BMW did a great job with both transmissons. Be proud and confident in either one.

On a side note. Owning an Exotic Supercar one day is on my bucket list. I can assure you that simply because the Lamborghini or Ferrari I hope to purchase one day IS NOT available with a manual transmisson, that will not stop me from buying one.

In closing purchase the one you truly want despite what anyone here feels including me. Your the one who has to live with it.

Know that when anyone asks this its just stirring sh!t up causing one side or the other to defend their decisions. Since I'm responsible for paying the monthly note, I could care less if anyone likes my auto transmission or not.
I LOVE IT $50K well spent.
I ordered my M235i and waited four months for delivery. If I had it to do all over again, I'd order the 8-Speed automatic again.

I'm not explaining my decision, I'm revelling in it

Last edited by 1ChrisRuck; 04-03-2015 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 2