07-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #26
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver1029 View Post
Automatic is faster than manual. Yea some will make the argument that manual is more sporty or whatever, and I did love my manual 328i E92, but the 8AT with paddles in this car rocks. And if you tune this car it becomes much more powerful...definitely something to consider, almost a no brainier in my opinion.
Yup. My 228i M Sport with THP was a fiercely quick little coupe with the 8AT in stock form. Even with a supposedly conservative (but safer) tune (Dinan) it is almost frighteningly quick and with eight gears it's always in the right RPM band and, tuned, pulls like it's never going to stop. Amazing torque, really well optimized by this superb transmission. It's my first AT in seventeen years and even though I miss the visceral sensation of driving a stick, I cannot argue with what this 8AT produces. The car does tune up exceptionally well (especially with Dinan Shockware dialing the remaining softness out of the suspension) and although I have not verified, I am pretty sure the car will do 0 - 60 inside 4.5 sec. If you want your 228i to be as fast, if not faster, than a stock M235, get it tuned!
Appreciate 0