nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Allow me to wade in on this...

I've recently done fairly exhaustive test-drives of both the 228i and the m235i.

I don't currently own either car, and I haven't ordered either one (yet).

In the large scheme of things, the two cars are fairly close. I doubt that overwhelming number of buyers will notice subtle differences in handling, suspension or weight distribution.

The one blindingly obvious difference that even the most unsophisticated driver will notice, however, is the engine. Do the m235i's two extra cylinders make a difference? Yes, they do. It's the difference between adequate (228i) or wow (m235i). Anyone who denies that difference is lacking in either (1) truthfulness; or (2) a pulse.

But, as they say, different strokes for difference folks. I can totally get why someone would opt for the 228i. It weighs less. Fuel economy is better. You're probably less likely to get speeding tickets. It costs less.

Let's face it, though. A loaded-up 228i off the dealer lot and a bare-bones ED m235i can be had for the roughly the same money, let's say $39K. If I were choosing between the two, I'd take the latter.
Yes you are definitely in the majority and share the most popular view but fast heavy cars are a dime a dozen. A Toyota Siena will put drag my childhood lust mobile the1983 mustang gt 5.0. You have SUVs that go fast. But some of us appreciate nimbleness. That's why some guys prefer an underpowered cayman over turbo cayenne. The surge in the 235 is impressive but you feel the heft. The 228 feels a little better turning so the discussion was about comparing both cars strengths and for me the 235 dissapointes a little bit while the 228 surprises me and exceeds my expectations. Both are too soft. If the M235 weighted the 228 3300 lbs, I would be unquestionably the winner. Unfortunately they are configured With a lot of extra fluff that hurts it.

Those that say the 236 is the best Bmw out there are correct but it's partially because the other ones have gone down. The 3 series is blah now. So as long as a good car is solely judged on acceleration the 235 wins in the other hand the 228 is not slow and rewards with nimbler feel and once warmed up I love the sound of the waste gates blowing and somewhat cruder sound. Both are still the best bmws offered today but there are those that appreciate subtleties. Your point is like saying soccer is lame because there are few goals. Americans would agree with you it The other 5 billion that appreciate what happens between the goals would disagree with you also.
Appreciate 1