Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyede06
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
They should take the M out of it completely and stop diluting the M brand name. M should be exclusive to only true M power cars and quit this M performance crap.

But it's all about marketing since most people that see my car think it's a real M and that's why they won't change it.

The topic regarding what constitutes a true M car has been bantered back and forth a lot. So, what makes a true M car. Parts? Performance? Cost? Something else? I always believed it was performance.

If it simply boils down to performance, then the M235i makes a pretty good showing for itself. I've read enough reviews to see that the 2014 M235i is within a hair's breadth of 100% of the performance of the 2012 M3. At about 2/3rds the co$t. So I'm left wondering if cost is a factor in the definition of true M cars. It wouldn't be difficult for me to believe that the higher cost of a true M car might be a big part of the M equation. Higher purchase prices = more exclusive. Exclusivity is sacred ground for some whether you're talking about cars or real estate.

I don't know. Apparently, there's more to the thought of what makes "true M" than just performance. I think it boils down to money.
I agree with you 100%
You two are floating on your new car cloud nine. What makes an m car is the fact that the m-division takes a platform and engineers it to an m car, nothing else. There are a lot of cars that perform close to or better like audi, merc, lexus, ford, chevy, etc, does that meke them m cars as well? they are no more an m car than the m235i because none of them were designed by the bmw m-division. Back in 2011 when they released the 1m I thought meh so what its the same thing, now that I have a one I realize how far apart these two cars are, to take a 135 and make it a 1m takes tens of thousands of dollars, its much more then adding 40hp.
And to the guy who thought his car was better then an e34 m5, thats like saying our cars are better then a 67 vette, back in the eighties there were few cars better than an m5 comparing something built today is not even close to fair. I hate to break it to you but the m235i is built for the masses its comfort first then enough performance to compete with the others in its class. An m car is built on a different premise.
Appreciate 1