06-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #33
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm curious to those that say the handling and feel is just terrible without a LSD: Are you guys driving in DSC Off? Because that is the only mode where the electronic LSD is in operation. All other modes the diff acts like a true open diff and the nannies are interfering and making things worse in almost every situation. DSC Off makes this car a different animal. Power comes on harder, faster, power is not cut, and the easily rotates when needed. The car is simply more eager and aggressive and IMO, easier to control.
Two things......

One, it is not always practical to drive with DSC off, so even if there is a mode that performs better, you are not always in it when things get loose. I agree with you how DSC interferes. It will try to kill you if you attempt to drift with it on.

Two, the e-diff is electro mechanical, and as with everything of such a nature, there is delay in the closed loop feedback together with a poorly weighted response. By that I mean it allows things to get out of control a certain amount, but then its response is usually overly heavy handed, which is not the best for smooth consistent feedback.
Once you fit a mechanical LSD, you quickly realise how slow the e-diff is at reacting, it is night and day.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00