View Single Post
      11-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Hey, the M235i can't do everything. Sounds like you're already sold on the Chevy SS. The performance numbers look pretty good, but it's still a Chevy.

Kind of like the old muscle car days - they go like h*ll, but not a sports coupe, not to mention the crappy MPG. Ha!

Do the Chevy, but I predict you'll be back one day.
The SS really is a "muscle car", a sedan with a high power engine.
Still, it handles much better than any muscle car of the original era.
It's a big car and that's the only thing that turned me away.

I think it looks good as far as sedans go. It's not overly flashy with odd creases and angles like recent Camry, Optima, Sonata, Altima, Maxima and others. It's very much in keeping with more stoic and tame Euro and German design.

As for "it's still a Chevy", that shouldn't be regarded as a negative these days. Chevy has come a LONG way since it's pre-bankrupt days. Ford and Chevy build some excellent quality vehicles that easily compare and even rival other non American brands. The Camaro is a performance monster and much better performance to dollar than the cars it challenges.
Too bad Chevy didn't get the interior space optimized like Ford has in the Mustang, or how German makers squeeze out maximum space in seemingly smaller dimensions.

Yes, the SS's big V8 sucks gas, but like any large displacement engine it does that when called upon to produce it's big power. My 340i's MPG drops considerably if I keep my foot on the loud pedal too often and/or too long.
If the SS were to get the newest 9 or 10spd AT it would do wonders for it's acceleration as well as nicely improve overall average MPG. It has a now outdated 6spd AT. I hope Chevy figures out a way to keep that model.
They can build it on the Camaro chassis, and it's very well known how great of a handling chassis it can be tuned to as well as a nice controlled ride. Size it even between the 3 and 5 series, and maximize the interior space and it would make a great option for those looking for something different.
Appreciate 0