03-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #77
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
I just wanted to add that in my car the steering feels the same with DSC=off and in sport+ mode. (Note DSC=off requires a long press on the DTC/DSC button)

In other words, the steering with DSC=off is not the same as in normal, but the rest of the car is. With DSC=off the suspension, throttle and gearbox behaves as if in normal mode, but the steering becomes much heavier and communicative. I assume this is because you need more steering feel when drifting, and I love that this allows me to get the most direct steering without the boosted throttle etc.

I do not know if this is the same in other BMWs with EPS, but it is worth trying.
That's very interesting and I hope this applies to manual-transmission equipped car as well: I always wanted heavy-steering but soft-suspension because I think it is useful for spirited driving on rough roads (unless that soft-suspension can actually hit bump-stops but I assume it has enough travel).

If I didn't know this DSC-off trick I would have to drive in Normal mode which gives me soft-suspension I want but the steering is also soft which is not desirable to me as speeds increase.

The only problem with DSC-off is, well, it turns DSC-off so I have to stay sharp to quickly handle any over/understeer situation. Shouldn't be much of a problem though with Michelin PSS at (semi)legal speeds.
Appreciate 0