bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunRevn View Post
I want an LSD but BMW won't do port installed options on an ED car.. I'm picking up my wife's car in September and was going to get the M235 at the same time. If I want the LSD, I will have to order it and pick it up state side, losing the cost benefit of ED, but gaining the part as residualized.

I won't be tracking the car and won't be adding a tune to it either.. I wonder if the LSD will show itself on an automatic without the additional grunt. Even the 2008 M3 I had, needed a bit of a booting to summon the power to start a nice slide. I don't feel the M235 has that amount of torque except on extremely tight hooligan doughnuts. Feedback please!
I've not driven a 2-series with an LSD, but the M3 comes with an LSD by default. Prior to this, I owned a 135i, which has a similar engine (both are N55 units) and chassis (similar wheelbase) to the M235i. So I do have a "with and without" ownership experience to contrast the two.

The N55 in the M235i actually has more torque (330 lb ft vs 295 lb ft) than the S65 in the M3; my 135i had about the same (300 lb ft). I test drove a sport auto M235i, and I could definitely feel those extra 35 lb ft. The big difference is in the character though. The torque in the M235i comes on very early, and the way the turbo spools up, I felt like I had more trouble spinning a single tire in my 135i than I've ever had in my M3. The LSD in the M3 has a lot to do with that, but the torque delivery of the turbocharged N55 provides an incentive for owners to pick up an LSD.

The other thing you have to consider is how you're going to drive it though. Under normal driving circumstances, you're not going to run in to the need for an LSD. The M235i has some electronic traction control stuff going on that will do more than you need for day-to-day driving. The LSD just isn't going to show up on your radar in around town driving. It only shows up when you break traction. On that note, there is something to be said for winter weather performance. I'm from Florida, so obviously I don't have any snow driving experience, but I've done plenty of off-road driving in limited traction environments, and a limited slip diff (or a diff locker!) is a real benefit in those situations.

IMO, it's an expensive option for someone who will never auto-x or track their car at all. For spirited drives, it's unnecessary, IMO. If you're driving 9/10ths on the street, your money will be better spent on lawyers If you ever plan on doing a HPDE, auto-x, or track day, it sure is nice, but you gotta consider the ROI on that kind of thing.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0