04-15-2018, 03:47 PM   #37
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
My car is a 2016 M235i, I replaced the turn signal, brake and back up bulbs with LED lights.

The bulb codes on each line are all correct. Different sites may use any or all of the codes as a description, that is why they are all listed.

Front turn signal: two pieces, 1156PY, 7507, BAU15s (amber)

Rear turn signal: two pieces, 1156, 7506, BA15s (red)
Rear Brake lights: six pieces, 1156, 7506, BA15S, (red)
Rear Backup lights: two pieces,1156, 7506, BA15s (white)

That is a total of twelve LED lights that I installed that cost less than $140. I evaluated several lights from different vendors. The latest 2835 LED chips are bright and efficient, they are also mounted on aluminum circuit boards instead of fiberglass.

Rear lights: 1156, BA15S, 7506

White lights will work at the rear of the car since they illuminate through colored plastic, but I like the look of the red LEDs, they emit a very rich red color similar to factory installed BMW LED lights. I bought the red ones for the brake and rear turn signal lights along with white LEDs for the rear backup lights from here (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._st_dp_summary or here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), they are for the rear of the car 1156, BA15S, 7506 and will not fit in the front turn signal socket. These lights are much brighter than the stock bulbs, there has been no error messages or hyper flash with my car. Amazon has an easy return policy and free two day shipping in the US for Prime members.

I tried a few different amber lights for the rear turn signals, only one type that I tested was able to emit a convincing amber color through the red plastic lens, all the others still looked orange/red. The 50 watt amber Cree bulb illuminated a strong amber color but it wasn't as bright as the 2835 red LEDs that I used for the brake lights. I decided that I preferred the deep red over amber for the rear turn signals. The new BMW 4,5,6 and 7 series I've seen in the US come with red LED turn signal lights at the rear. This is where I bought the amber rear lights http://www.ebay.com/itm/172185266736...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.

Front turn signal: 1156PY, 7507, BAU15s

I think the front turn signals should by law emit amber light. I bought these LED lights on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/231759398547...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ), these are for the front turn signals only 1156PY, 7507, BAU15s. The lights are much brighter than stock and have a nice appearance. The silver finish of the LEDs look good through the clear head light lenses. I haven't had any error messages or hyper flash with these lights. I was unsuccessful at finding a US source for these. Although the vendor is in China, the purchase is made through ebay in the US using PayPal, they shipped to me in 7 days from the time that I ordered to delivery. I returned a set that I didn't use, they were very professional and gave me a full refund.

Sirius from Amazon offered to give me a bulk forum discount. If someone wants to negotiate a group discount with Sirius, they are open to the idea. The prices are already pretty good compared to other purchase options that have been posted in other threads, but why not try for a % discount?

All LED lights do the quick "light show" which is the car checking the bulbs on startup, I've seen a video that shows it somewhere on this forum. It's harmless and is in fact kinda cool. The only slightly annoying thing about LED lights in our cars is a single flicker when the car periodically checks the lights, it is hardly noticeable and can apparently be coded out. I haven't done it yet, it's not a high priority and can wait until I do a major coding day.

I have no affiliation with any sources that I mentioned.

Installation instructions:

Tools needed
10mm socket, flat blade screwdriver, soft cloth to protect signal lens
Attachment 1473272

Push on the tabs to release the door behind the front turn signal.
Attachment 1473277
Attachment 1473278

Reach through the hole, turn the light socket counter clockwise.
The front BAU15S bulbs have a 150 degree pin offset, so the new LEDs can be screwed into the socket only one way. Push down on the bulb and turn to release it.
Attachment 1473279

Tail light removal
Remove the two 10mm nuts. There is a third rubber friction fit pin which will need a little jiggling to break it loose. On my car one side was easy to pull out and the other side not so much. Once the housing is dislodged, hold it with both hands rolling it up and slightly tilted to the side, be careful not to scratch the paint on the bumber. You might want to apply some Duct tape around the bumper rim. If it is done correctly the housing will not scrape on the bumper, it will just roll out and away from the car, don't force it.
You'll probably need a screwdriver to release the lock pin before unplugging the wire.
Attachment 1473292
Attachment 1473294

Place the tail light assembly face down on a soft cloth. The tabs around the bulb plate are strong, pry them out to release the pins.
Attachment 1473311
Attachment 1473304

Install the new LEDs
These BA15S lights have a 180 degree pin configuration, they can be rotated and screwed in either way.
Attachment 1473298
Attachment 1473305

Reassemble, enjoy your bright and colorful LEDs

I took a few pics with my phone. The LEDs are the brighter of the lights shown in all the photo/videos. Unfortunately it is impossible to show how good they look with such limited image quality, the bright light just blows out the highlights. I decided to take another pic inside the garage with the light reflecting off of the door. These lights are a nice deep red compared to the original orange/red of the incandescent bulbs which doesn't properly show up in the pics. The LEDs really are much brighter than the stock bulbs. They are also safer because there is no lag in illumination. I think it's a crime that a $50,000. car is still being shipped with incandescent bulbs.
Sorry about the awful phone pics.

Attachment 1473368
Attachment 1473369
The rear lights don't seem to be labeled as "error free". Is that not an issue?
Appreciate 0