12-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #101
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
My main point is that a company should always stick to what they're good at, even if branching into a new market segment. There's a reason companies who try to be good at everything (Ford, GM, VW, Toyota, etc) rarely end up doing so, and seem to lack a single company-defining characteristic as a result.

When I get into a BMW, I expect it to be rear wheel drive, steer well, and most of all, be a fun car to drive. Regardless of size, series, whatever, I expect Excellent driving dynamics, "the ultimate driving machine" and all that. Does this minivan tick any of those boxes? Does it fit into what an average person would think to expect from BMW ?

My guess would be no. And the time and energy spent on stuff like this could have been applied in a manner consistent with your core company values to accomplish the same goal, which just don't seem present here.

Whatever sales they get from models like this just won't seem worth it, at least in my opinion. We shall see...maybe they will slap some faux wood grain on the sides and it will sell like hot cakes...
But yours aren't the only expectations. I get that you have an idea of how you want all BMWs to be, but that ship sailed with the E30 325ix back in the 80s. BMW does what it does very, very well. Every company has to reevaluate its mission periodically, and sometimes it's time for a change. BMW made an executive decision to diversify the production lineup based on a variety of financial, environmental, and philosophical reasons--some of which we are not privy to. And when a company like BMW does this, it takes a risk with its loyal customers. You have to remember that there are more people buying new BMWs for the first time than there are people buying for the second, third, fourth, etc. time. BMW needs to appeal to more people--it used to be a niche manufacturer, but exclusivity can only go so far at the sub $100k price bracket. A business model that excludes potential buyers does not a financially successful company make. At this point, it's up to you to decide if you're really loyal. Is the existence of this car that you will likely never have to drive (or be seen in) really worth leaving the brand over?
Appreciate 0