omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I get the inadvertent automatic parking engagement when I want to creep the car forwards or back a bit in the garage, and I have the door open. Like when I move the car onto a 2x6 scrap to raise it enough to get my old jack under the car. Super annoying.

Basically, if the door is open, and the brake is fully released, Park is automatically engaged. And it is a really abrupt stop. Like you hit something. I thought I had the first time it happened.

One workaround in the garage is to put on the seatbelt. That lets you release the brake with the door open and creep a bit without Park engaging. But get over a very low speed creep, and Park still engages. With a bang.

Or, you can close the door. But I like to leave the door open as it's way easier to judge if I only want to move a few inches.
There is a simpler work around this and guaranteed to work no matter the distance. I use this especially if I’m moving the car to a lift or something. What you do is open the door, on the locking mechanism push the part in twice as if you are programming the car and voila, the car thinks the door is locked and will not engage park, this is done during programming because otherwise the window lift on that door won’t do its calibration thinking it might hurt someone, you will move freely as you wish with your door open, just don’t forget to pull the door lever twice before closing it
Appreciate 0