View Single Post
      10-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Review of 2015 228i with Sport Line/THP

I recently purchased a 228i and wanted to give you all my opinion on the cars performance and how I feel about some of the optioning decisions I made.

228i W/TRACK HANDLING PACKAGE (THP) VERSUS M235: I test drove both extensively and am glad I chose the 228i with THP over the M235. The 228i does not have the same raw acceleration surge of the M235 but it still accelerates very quickly and handles better than the nose-heavier M235i due to the pure 50/50 weight distribution (the 235 is 52/48).

MANUAL v. AUTO: I chose the Automatic and it is really the only optioning decision I have a bit of buyer’s remorse on. If you can choose it, go Manual! Frankly, IHO I think a 228i with a stick and thp is more fun than a M235 with an auto. That said, I have a commute in heavy traffic and I simply could not sentence myself to a manual.

TRACK HANDLING PACKAGE: I would not get the 228i without THP. The Brembo (M) brakes and Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires are amazing and a true step up from the Rubber and brakes on a 228i without, including the MSPORT. Not sure if the adaptive handling is all that better than the MSPORT suspension. Bottom Line: I would forgo Sport line or MSPORT before foregoing the THP if I had to choose. Somebody previously called THP the “Secret Sauce” and they are right on.

Sport Line or MSPORT versus THP (SPORT SEATS or NOT): I contemplated forgoing both Sport line (which I think is gone for 16) and MSPORT for THP to save some money. Absolutely glad I did not—simply for the sport seats. BMW Sport seats are superlative and the base seats simply don’t have the same kind of support. I can’t imagine the THP would be as fun flopping around the car on the stock seats.

SENSATEC v. LEATHER: We have another BMW with leather and was concerned about the sensatec’s quality but I am absolutely happy with the Sensatec. It is not quite as soft as leather but it is very close. Most people believe it is leather. It also holds onto you a bit better in the curves.

ENHANCED BLUETOOTH AUDIO: I did not order it and the car still came equipped with it! Not sure if this was a mistake or simply a BMW trick to get you to pay 500 extra for something they are sticking in every car.

HARMAN KARDON OR STOCK STEREO: The stock stereo is simply below adequate so this was a must. If I was more bold I would have considered aftermarket options. HK makes the stereo tolerably good but it pales to the upgraded stereo option in the GTI—which is kind of embarrassing for BMW.

EUROPEAN DELIVERY: If there is anyway you can do it, do it—especially if you don’t live near mountains. Driving in the Bavarian Alps and Austria was pure bucket list for a car lover. You can get close by going to Colorado or another mountain state but they don’t have the autobahn either!

SATNAV or NOT: Glad I declined this. 2k saved. An Iphone or IPAD mini works better anyway.

ADAPTIVE ZENON HEADLIGHTS: I have these on our other BMW and would not buy a car without them.

SUNROOF: Glad we did not get one. Better headroom and lightens the car by a some.

I hope this helps for those in the market. I spent a long time researching the options and think, in the end, made the right choices.
Appreciate 0