View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #117
Jonjt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post
10 years ago BMW stated, that Mercedes makes long cars and BMW makes shorter sporty vehicles.
Now just look at the 6 series Coupe; a fish formed design.
A sports car must be large and long only enough to fit the seats and the engine.
The same goes for the new 3 series; it got very long. The 3 series should be a car for the driver and one front passenger. The car should be made larger and not longer. The front shoulder room feels like in a VW Golf! (where is that luxury feeling of the 5 series on the front seats?)

The women like the comfort of the 7 series.
A friend of mine got the X6 for his wife; she was not satisfied; she said the car drives like a fat bibber, and that she must climb to get inside (quite impossible in a skirt.
So the husband had to part with his limo and he got the X6 (it was sold quite quickly).
Well, BMW is definitely out to make money, it's not the automaker it was in 1995.

I'm not a fan of the direction of the new 3 series, either. There is no reason to make it a mini 6 series. And, it's not really a mini version either. I think the tentative dimensions were something like 2 inches shorter than the current 6 series. Ridiculous. The only saving grace is that the 2 series may end up being the correct size.

I've never really spent any time in a 5 series or a 7 series. I know that hte 7 series tends to be at the cusp of new technological and ergonomic developments but, as far as comfort goes, I thought the 5 series was just about a good as the 7. Maybe I'm wrong.

If my wife wore skirts often, I'd make damn sure I watched her climb into an X6 every day. haha.

More seriously, I understand where your friend's wife is coming from. I'm just not yet understanding why the 7 series is preferable.
Appreciate 0