03-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
LOL...good tips... I realize this stuff pulls right off, but r u saying u can just spray away freely? Last thing I need is overspray that needs to be unwrapped. Wouldn't it be better to remove the parts to be sprayed? Or just tape everything w plastic, etc. I did see a utube video on this and it looks like guys are indeed doing it themselves w/o contracting a pro to do it. It just scares me to spray this stuff on a brand new BMW. Since the car is leased, I'd be interested in plasti-wrapping the mirror caps and rear deflectors. Could this been done in body colour (MG) or something similar? I understand u can also spray on a shiny finish clear coat of plasti-wrap if u want a sheen?
I would mask off as much as possible, but if you get some someplace by accident it wouldn't be an issue. For the mirrors, does the ferric grey wrap around to the inside behind the mirror as well or is it just on the front? I don't remember and my car isn't here yet. If it's just on the front it's easy, if not I would ask the service dept. how to remove just the mirror and unplug it, then shove some newspaper inside to prevent overspray from gunking up the mechanism. Then just mask around the mirror, with some newspaper on windows and whatnot. As long as you don't spray in a windstorm you'll be fine. Deflectors you mean the red ones in back? Getting plastidip to match might be tough, although I am sure if you contact the guys making body colored front reflectors you could get them to do the back too.

You should check the 1 forum if you haven't already, those guys must be smoking pastidip with crack pipes. Doing entire cars, stripes on cars, wheels, all kinds of stuff. They are all fiends and swear by the stuff.
Appreciate 0