View Single Post
      05-24-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

A different performance comparison M235i M/T vs 8-speed

Hey guys

It seems ever so evident that the auto gets faster acceleration from 0-60, but I came across this chart and wondered for a bit..

I wondered about the standing start 0-1000m, which doesn't seem to differentiate between manual and auto, as other parameters do, so, if the auto gains from 0-60, how and where does the manual make up for it's loss there to achieve the same 0-1000m time!?

Can the longer gear ratios actually take some advantage out of the high torque available on acceleration?? I mean, HP will get you the top speed, but acceleration as more to do with torque, and the auto, with its shorter ratios operates slightly further up the rev range and that's when torque eventually falls...

this is probably a pointless thread, as there's probably no real objective answer we can find, but we could speculate, which is fun and kinda one of the points of forums...

Also, could this assumption also mean the manual would have slightly better acceleration out of a corner, as the longer ratio and lower revs would take better advantage of the torque for a longer time before hitting the red, compared to the higher higher reving auto!?

Hope I could explain the point and start an interesting debate, just for funsies!
Appreciate 0