danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
If you've ever owned a sports car with truly great feel and feedback through the steering you'd know that it's indespensible. Good chassis feel is a great addition, but not close to a substitute.

Since you are a GTI owner, ever drive the MKI version from the 1970's? That's a VW with great steering feel (manual rack and pinion).
I agree that we shouldn't just shrug our shoulders at the loss of feel, but I do think there are a lot of driving situations were it makes utterly no difference. I certainly would want as much feel as possible if driving close to the limits on a track. I would also want to know how much traction the tires were getting on wet or snowy pavement. But for everyday commuting and enthusiastic (but sub-7/10) drives through the twisties, I just don't sense much of a problem with the EPS. I can only assume that automakers will improve the programming to the point that at least a decent degree of feel is restored, but it may take a couple more generations before it catches up to hydraulic.

Appreciate 0