12-13-2015, 02:47 AM   #16
csg
always learning
Rep
Drives: fast, takes chances

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
Hey fellow 2er enthusiasts,

How do you guys deal with the tire/wheel/suspension combination of the m235i/ or sport/m-sport 228i? I'm thinking about getting rid of my car because I feel like the roads here are way too crappy for this car.

Should I get rid of my car?

A few comments from someone who has owned a few lowered cars in urban areas (read: Boston, New York City, Rochester NY, Dayton OH, Denver, CO).

Bottom line: You shouldn't get rid of your car because the roads are bad, you should change the way you drive it. If you don't like driving it this way, then I guess you might want to consider something a little more compliant, or taller tires and smaller wheels. If you're on run-flats, that's your first step either way, get rid of them!

I've seen quite a few bad roads in the ~10 lowered cars I've owned in these areas but have learned that no matter the kind of road, it's incumbent on me, the driver, to look after my car and drive cautiously to avoid potholes, large gaps and other obstacles. Do I swerve into other lanes to avoid them? Absolutely not! I do, however, use the skills I've picked up at HPDEs to use "high eyes" to scan the road ahead of me to see in advance where the potholes are and safely maneuver around them (be it a lane change or just adjusting my line). I've picked out 2 routes between my home and work place that I've all-but memorized (20 minutes, 11 miles) and I know where the big bumps are and how I can avoid them. As for new routes, I am constantly moving my focus to increase my situational awareness of cars around me, pedestrians and obstacles (potholes, sunken and raised manhole covers, construction, etc.) and ensure that I avoid as much of it as safely possible. I've found that this is more or less a "tax" of owning a sports/lowered car. In the end, it adds to the engagement I seek in my daily commute and I rather enjoy the drive, I find that I'm much more connected to the environment around me.

Just my $0.02!
1997 Land Rover Defender 300TDi (ours)
Appreciate 0