View Single Post
      01-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #19
Ari00
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xdrive

I picked up a CPO 2015 m235i Xdrive back in October and found out the depressing way that my car was truly limited at 130 exactly with the Pirelli runflats it came with. This may differ from vehicles with other tires or coded differently but I speak for myself. After inquiring at my dealership as well as a couple tuners locally including Turner, the conclusion is that once 10 driving hours have passed it is not possible for the dealership to remove the governor without voiding the warranty.

As of about a month ago, I was told by all those sources above that it was only possible to remove the limiter by removing intake manifold and physically drilling into the ECU to remove the governor or tune our cars further. Now obviously with new coding methods it can be done thru the OBD2 port. However, I am sure it is still detectable if the dealership choses to get picky and discovers the alteration no matter how small a digital footprint it leaves.

Personally it stinks having a vehicle that accelerates this quickly yet is limited to 130 but I will wait until my warranty has expired to remove that limiter. Both side of the argument have valid points...130 is plenty fast for most as well as our roads here in the US not to mention the legal aspect. But I have new wheels with MPSS tires along with some suspension bolt-ons and do plan to see an occasional track day eventually, so will be nice to gain a bit on the straights.
Appreciate 0