View Single Post
      01-14-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

My understanding is that you get higher speed limiter if you got performance summer tires; not just the MPSS, but also the runflats (mine were Conti 5's, but I think also a Pirelli option, or some other brand that is a RFT summer tire). I think all are staggered, but best to just look for the specific 840 code (mine was called "840 Increased top speed limiter").

I was told it had to be reset in the first 10 miles, but no reason to think it couldn't be via run time; I would assume your dealer will be motivated, so if it can be reset they should find out how - please let us know if it really is possible (that 10 miles rule has been repeatedly cited, but I'm sure many are hoping it isn't that final). Aftermarket flash tuning is wicked cool, if you like modding, but will cost you the warranty; and FWIW, I've heard mixed things about whether it can really be reset with a flash (some say it is a burned in part of the firmware, not part of the 'flash' code, hence the funky timeline).

Personally, I'd use it as a bargaining chip w/ the dealership, unless you plan to track it (or really drive on the autobahn). Just practice saying s/t like 'but it is only half the car it could have been - that should be worth ......'. Just don't buy the hype yourself, you won't miss it - 130 is not just felony level in all 50 states, it is 'beat you down and actually drag you to jail' in many areas.
Appreciate 0