View Single Post
      07-02-2016, 03:37 AM   #74
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm98119 View Post
I just sold my 2014 Cayman S and am going to lease a M235 for 2 years. In the process, I drove a WHOLE BUNCH of stuff, including an S5. It's a good car but it just depends on what you like. The S5 is larger, heavier, and feels every bit of it. I personally don't like the size (the main reason I walked away from M4), but maybe it would fit you. But don't do it unless you have the cash to cover your depreciation

I'd also say as a general comment on this thread to people second guessing their own choices (or feeling bad about them) because of the article's bias: Coming from the Cayman S (I also had a 2008 Cayman S) which is lauded by scads of auto journalists as among the "best sports cars for any money", I just have to point out (as many of you have, in fairness) it's really all about what feels right to you, meets your personal criteria, and makes you happy when you're in it. These journalists have their own preferences, and also make these statements after driving in places and in a way 95% of us only do 1% or less of the time.

I admit I still struggle with it, like after reading this article, I think "how could I have ditched my Cayman for a Buick! WTH was I thinking!" Then get in the M235 and it just feels "right", *to me* (and oh yeah, I'm paying a few hundred less per month too). And then I say f___ it.

I loved my Cayman. Awesome car. I'd love to have both. But I prefer a little more straight line accel than it or the 228 can provide, don't want to have to pay $70K just to get heated seats (or risk what people do to these cars in the used market)... and I can't get an M2 Scheduling wise I couldn't wait 'til the 718 Porsche's or an M2 was available even to test in my area, so I'm driving something that some journalists think is a Buick... and I'm happy!

Sorry I think I meandered in my thought process a bit....
I wanted to buy (out of warranty) 2008-2010 Cayman S for like past 4-5 years. I kept backing out due to some reliability issues that I read about, well and some other things. I mean for the money of used 235i you can get a really nice Cayman S
Appreciate 0