View Single Post
      12-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #99
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

To say the truth if BMW give the M2 an I4, it will be a better car than if they give it an I6. How do I support my theory? Without facts, but very a precise deduction:

- If BMW gives the M2 the engine of the M4, even detuned, performance wise it will be to close to the M4, if not ahead. Already now the E82M with 340 PS was nearly as fast as the E92M with 420 PS.
- If BMW gives the M2 just a tuned version of the engine found in the M135i, the M2 will not be a "true" M-Car (ready difficult to define what a true M-Car is nowadays).
- A slightly tuned engine from the M135i will be more cost reductive, than a newly developed I4 by M Gmbh (i.e. N55 (M135i) vs. S55 (M4)).

To conclude, BMW not being able to give the M2 the engine from the M4, as it would just be too good, (think Cayman vs. 911), they'll have to go with a cheap I6 or an expensive I4. BMW prefers the cheaper way, this was shown with to choice of the cheaper I6 vs. the more expensive V6 for the M3/M4, but maybe BMW decided to spend the saved money on a better I4 for the M2.

Fact is, if the M2 gets an I4, it will be a better can than if it gets an I6, because it will cost more and we know they want to reduce costs.

You may think, that if an M4 can have an I6, then the M2 based on M4 can also get that engine, but it will affect balance. The new I6 of the M4 will be as heavy, if not heavier than the V8 of the M3, but it will be longer, so worse. In current comparission between 328i and 335i, reviewers said the 328i has bettter balance than 335i. This is even more relevant for the M2, which has a shorter wheelbase. Moreover, the addtional power of an I6 will not be important for the M2, regardless of taking shares from the M4, because the M2 will overall be lighter, even without extended use of CF.

M2 with I4 FTW!!!
Appreciate 0