View Single Post
      03-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #106
williesm
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
I'm trying to figure out whether or not to order Xdrive, and today I had the opportunity to drive two 235's back to back...one Xdrive and the other RWD. I know the dealer well, and they let me take each car out without a salesperson, so I did not hesitate to push each car hard :-) Both cars had staggered Pilot Super Sports, and it was about 45 degrees here.

To give some perspective let me say that while I'm not a professional racer nor do I have extensive track experience, but I own a Porsche 996 and previously owned other sports cars including a Lotus Elise, so I'm reasonably acquainted with handling characteristics.

The extra weight of the Xdrive is noticeable, but only when you push the car very hard on entrance and exit ramps. I don't think an average driver would ever notice the extra weight, even if they were looking for it.

When pushed VERY hard, the Xdrive car had somewhat more tendency toward initial understeer. When I say "pushed the car hard", I do mean to or beyond the point that most passengers would likely be concerned for their safety.

Finally, it was far easier to achieve faster flat out acceleration from a standing stop with Xdrive. Without the LSD it was not difficult to overwhelm the rear tires on the RWD car with all the torque...of course traction would have been better with these tires had the weather been 30 or 40 degrees warmer.
You just so happen to test drive? Dealer buddy?
I went for AWD and will be having winter tires.
I consider myself an enthusiasts, but dont plan to autocross or track.
(Ok, maybe one day, once...) But it sounds like it could be said unless you plan to track/autocross an xdrive isnt worse.
And if you do track, you should prob wait for the M2 and not even consider the M235i
Appreciate 0